The XMod "Model-S" Type 1 Drive Head:
An Automatic Screwdriver Head Engineered
To Suit Your Application
Carlson Engineering automated screw driving machines are designed to work with a screwfeeder or step feeder, and assist in your assembly automation fastening process by advancing the screw or screws to your product, stopping above it, and then advancing the bit driving the screw or screws to torque or depth. Carlson automatic feed screwdriver systems can be fitted with almost any brand of screwdriver on the market today.
Dual Stage Screwdriving
As a Type 1, this drive head is dual-stage device with 2 independently operating travel slides & corresponding Jaw and Bit strokes, making hard to reach areas accessible.
Using a servo motor in place of a traditional air cylinder offers advanced control over the positioning and movement of this drive head.
XMod "Model-S" Type 1 Drive Head
Automatic Screwdriver Head
Anatomy & Features
Our line of high-performance, low maintenance automatic screwdrivers and screw feeder equipment consistently & effortlessly increases the efficiency of assembly automation lines, and results in lower cost of operation for automatic screwfeeding and screwdriving.
Why use a Servo Motor?
Benefits of Servo-Advanced Driving
We provide the option of using a servo to advance the screw-driving head instead of the traditional air cylinder. The servo includes a closed-loop servo motor, servo amplifier, and control. It has independently programmable positioning, speed, acceleration, & force, and is very easy to use (can be programmed from hand-held pendant or PC in 15 minutes). DeviceNet and CC-Link gateways are available. Servo comes in 50-300mm stroke versions.
- With a self-drilling or self-threading screw, you can apply high initial force and then reduce the force after the threading has started.
- With a machine screw, you can apply very little force thus allowing the screwdriver bit to turn the screw prior to pressing down hard to keep the bit engaged. This will reduce cross threading dramatically.
- Because the servo is connected to a screw and nut, the weight of the screwdriver motor, slide carriage, bit, socket, spindle etc. are on the lead screw. This stops the slide hammer effect you have with an air cylinder. When you advance a 5-pound mass with an air cylinder it hits the screw like a hammer. With the servo coupled with a lead screw this energy is absorbed by the by the lead screw, not the screw you intend to drive.
- You can change speed and force of the screw driver bit at will. You can do this over the entire travel length.
- If you are driving screws invertedly (vertical up) you can advance the bit and stop just behind the screw head to stop the screw from falling back down the delivery tube. You can also do this to speed up the process. By advancing the bit the moment the screw arrives you will reduce cycle time.
- You can rapid the screwdriver bit at 400mm per second at maximum thrust until you reach the screw. You can then slow down and reduce the force as desired. This will increase cycle time considerably. With a standard air cylinder, you would use a flow control that would give you a constant speed. This constant speed would be much slower than the servo in most circumstances due to the inertia. If you allow the screwdriver motor to move a 400mm per second and then slam into the screw and in turn the part (customer’s product). This will result in poor screwdriver bit life, you may damage the screwdriver motor, and you may damage the parts you are driving the screws into. The servo motor eliminates this and allows very high production rates.
- You can stop the jaws at any position. You can do this over the entire travel length.
- You can drive screws at different part elevations.
- You can make contact with the screw driving surface and track the screw installation depth relative to the screw installation surface.
Ready to get a quote?
Use Our Personalized Product Configurator.
Enter your fastener & applications specifications into our product configurator to automatically configure a personalized set of drive head & feeder / presenter options for yourself. Take it to the next level, and turn your configured results into a product quote request – or just contact us with your information using our main contact form.